Great news for fans of the hit television show The Expanse and the novels on which they are based . Green Ronin Publishing launched their kickstarter campaign today and it was funded within an hour! There is even a quickstart version of the game that allows you to play right now. From the campaign page!
Venture Into The Expanse!
The Expanse Roleplaying Game brings James S.A. Corey’s award-winning series of science fiction novels to the tabletop. Using the Adventure Game Engine (AGE) rules found in Fantasy AGE, Blue Rose, and Modern AGE, The Expanse takes players to a far-future solar system where humanity is divided: Martians, Belters, and the people of old Earth struggle for political power and resources, but even older, alien, forces are stirring in the universe, and human history is about to take an unexpected new turn. The Expanse applies the fast-playing and action-based AGE rules to spaceships, solar colonies, and adventure and intrigue in the far-future, where the actions of the characters may change the course of history!
As long time fans know, The Expanse was a roleplaying game campaign long before it was a series of novels or a TV show. We are delighted to bring it full circle with this game! And here’s the best thing about The Expanse RPG: we’ve been working on this for well over a year and rules are done! They’ve been through multiple iterations and playtesting, and we’ve worked closely with Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham (together, James S.A. Corey) throughout to ensure we are getting The Expanse right. Now let’s hear from Daniel and Ty themselves!
Want to check the game out RIGHT NOW? Download The Expanse RPG Quickstart today!This is a 40-page PDF that includes stripped down rules, pre-generated characters, and an adventure you can play right away. The download is free. We’ll also have printed copies of The Expanse RPG Quickstart for sale at GenCon. Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham will also be there!
The Expanse RPG Features
The Expanse is based on the exciting new Modern AGE rules-set, and includes many of its features, such as customized character building using Backgrounds and Professions, Drives for character engagement, and an abstract resources system. It also makes use of the Modern AGE approach to action, exploration, and social encounters, complete with stunts and systems for all of them. To get a closer look at Modern AGE, you can download the Quickstart here.
The following are some of the unique features of The Expanse in comparison to other AGE games:
- Fortune: Rather than Health, characters have a Fortune score that measures lucky near-misses, close scrapes, and trivial hits before the character takes serious harm. Fortune is also useful for modifying die rolls and offering players some narrative control but, watch out! Spend too much of it and your luck could run out when you get caught in a crossfire!
- Conditions: In addition to a running Fortune total, characters use various conditions to measure things like injuries and fatigue as well as tactical challenges like hindered movement or sensory abilities.
- Interludes: The interludes in between encounters are given their own treatment, allowing players to make use of their “down-time” (including long hauls between destinations in the System) to recover, do maintenance, build their connections with others, or pursue their own projects.
- Spaceships: The Expanse RPG features a system to model and create spaceships and its own system for space combat, including the assault on Thoth Station as an example of the system in action!
- The Churn: The Expanse also offers something for the Game Master with the Churn: A ticking counter that measures the crew’s progress through a story and just when things are going to suddenly go sideways and become even more complicated!
Two Editions to Choose From!
We are offering the core rulebook of the Expanse RPG in two formats:
The Standard Edition is a 200+ page full color hardback as of the launch of the Kickstarter. With stretch goals we can make it even bigger and better! This is the version that will stay in print after the Kickstarter has been fulfilled.
The Special Edition is a deluxe version of The Expanse RPG. It features the same beautiful full color interior of the Standard Edition with a black leatherette hardcover and a ribbon bookmark. This version is a Kickstarter exclusive, so it will not be available after the close of this campaign. If we reach the right stretch goal, the Special Edition will also include a dust jacket featuring the game’s gorgeous cover art.
The Expanse Game Master’s Kit
This Kickstarter also includes The Expanse Game Master’s Kit, which will ship alongside the book. It currently includes the following, but may expand with the unlocking of stretch goals:
- A three-panel landscape format GM Screen with vital game system reference tables on one side and three panels of Expanse art on the player-facing side.
- A set of game reference cards, including an initiative tracker, stunt references, and action references useful for players at the table.
- Now includes pre-generated characters after a stretch goal unlock!
The campaign is now live so don’t forget to pledge and see you out in the belt sasa!