PLAY AS “RIFTS”, ORDINARY PEOPLE WITH LEGENDARY POWERS
Player characters in City of Mist
are ordinary people in whom a legend has awakened. You play a unique combination of a real-life persona and a legendary Mythos, from a reporter with the powers of Don Quixote to a socialite imbued by Excalibur. Your life is a game of balance between magic and normality.
Together with your ragtag crew of Rifts, you will hit the dark streets to uncover the insidious forces at play in your City, confront ancient legends in modern-day guise, and discover what you truly are…
DIVE INTO THE INVESTIGATION AND UNCOVER THE CITY’S UNSPEAKABLE TRUTHS…
Someone is running the show in this City, and it’s up to you to find out who. You need to talk to the right people, ask the right questions, and sometimes take answers by force. Are you doing it out of the kindness of your heart or because you have a stake in the matter? Either way, the truth must be revealed.
For gamemasters, both new and experienced, City of Mist
makes writing investigative adventures easy, using the Iceberg Model. Check out the MC Toolkit for a complete case-writing guide.
A CINEMATIC GAME SYSTEM
Inspired by super-powered noir graphic novels and TV shows, such as Daredevil, Jessica Jones, or Fables, the City of Mist
game system encourages you to get creative and experience cinematic moments with every action you take.
Characters made entirely of tags:
- Create rich and diverse characters with any ability or walk of life imaginable *without ever writing a single number down*.
- Easily flesh out and customize the tiny details of your powers and modern persona and have every detail impact the game – even your character’s catchphrases!
- Get creative with new combinations of tags.
- Easily introduce the game to new players, no matter their background.
Story-propelling action resolution system:
- A simple rule converts your descriptive tags into roll modifiers, turning your narrative into crunch.
- Eight core moves deliver different dramatic outcomes with every roll, driving the story forward and fueling suspense (no silent failure).
- No hit points! Descriptive conditions (physical, social, magical, emotional, etc.) gradually wear down on your ability to take action, and then escalate to permanent effects and death.
Dramatic character evolution rules:
- Simulate the ups-and-downs of your hero’s life with a built-in clash between your characters mythical and mundane themes.
- Make hard choices and sacrifices to determine which themes to develop and which to abandon, instigating dramatic changes in your character, such as loss of powers or the death of a loved one.
- No levels! Evolve by constantly making cinematic choices and replacing themes to unlock greater Moments of Evolution.